So you’re going to see Ava DuVernay’s A Wrinkle In Time, I like your style! Below are 8 things to know before hitting the theaters on Friday, March 9 2018 (Spoiler Free, of course).
1. A Wrinkle In Time has an all star cast and not one of them feels out of place! Storm Reid, the star of the film, is incredibly talented. I believe she has a long career ahead of her. Deric McCabe, who plays little brother Charles Wallace, steals the movie. I would’ve absolutely watched an entire film about Charles Wallace, and McCabe is definitely a child to keep your eye on.
2. Reese Witherspoon’s Mrs. Whatsit felt like Elle Woods, at the beginning of Legally Blonde, on drugs.
3. There could’ve been more Oprah.
4. This movie is made for kids, so don’t expect big crazy twists that you didn’t see coming. It’s pretty straight forward.
5. There are some preachy moments that feel a bit on the nose. But they’re positive preaches, so get over it.
6. Take a young woman with you who has even the slightest interest in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) .
7. The movie is BEAUTIFUL! (I didn’t see it in 3D, and don’t know if it’s even available in that format, but I assume it’s probably extra beautiful in 3D).
8. The movie runs 1 hour 49 minutes, and feels perfectly paced – not too long, nor too short.
I really enjoyed A Wrinkle In Time, even though this film is clearly not made for me. I never read the book (but I skimmed the Cliff Notes before the movie), so I don’t have that nostalgia appeal, and I’m not a pre-teen, nor a mother. That said, it was a beautiful movie with a bunch of great messages presented by truly talented children. Only complaint…. it could’ve used more Oprah.
A Wrinkle in Time hits theaters Friday, March 9 2018.
— Yael Tygiel