So you’re going to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi… Good for you! Before heading to the theaters, here are 9 things you may want to know (don’t worry, it’s spoiler free) below.
1. The film is 2.5 hours, so grab a drink and snacks after you pick your seat. And Pee! Make sure you’ve emptied your bladder before settling in for this beautiful and quite funny movie.
2. If you’re a cryer, bring a tissue (no need to bring more than one) because you may tear up once or twice.
3. Go in with zero expectations. Not that the movie isn’t good – it’s super fun high energy excitement – but don’t expect too much out of it.
4. If you’re a fan of the classics, or you just like to hear your favorite things said, you’re in luck. There were moments that (to me) felt a bit corny, and like fan service, but they didn’t detract from the film. As a casual fan, I could tell that these were intended for someone else, and that’s okay.
5. Let go. Just relax and try to take in the story. Get out of your head. Don’t try to predict or guess, just sit back and enjoy the ride. It’s a fun ride.
6. Porgs! Everyone’s all about the porgs. As adorable as they are, the more I think about it, the more they seem like annoying little rodent-birds…. like Pigeons. I assume that if Porgs were real they’d smell really bad and you wouldn’t want them in your house. But since they’re not… I want a plush Porg.
7. Some people (*cough* Me *cough*) tend to ‘ship people and imagine relationships that may not necessarily be there… In this film, you can spend the entire movie ‘shipping Poe and Finn without ever being proven right nor wrong. You’re welcome.
8. Feel free to applaud! I was lucky enough to see this movie at a Press Screening, surrounded by professional members of the press. But they were also fans. My experience was only enhanced by the sounds of these fans cheering and laughing. Allow yourself to enjoy your viewing.
9. Don’t drag someone who doesn’t like Star Wars to see it with you. They’re going to point out flaws (yes, all movies have flaws), and it’s just going to ruin your experience. Wait to see it with them for your 5th viewing, once you’ve bought the BluRay.
I genuinely enjoyed this movie. I was drawn in by the story, fell in love with the new characters, reaffirmed my feelings towards the veteran characters, and was on the edge of my seat as the adventure twisted and turned. I appreciated what Rian Johnson did to this film and trust him to take this franchise forward. Excited to see what he does next!
Check out the trailer below and then hit the theaters this weekend.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi opens December 15th 2017.
Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi
The Skywalker saga continues as the heroes of The Force Awakens join the galactic legends in an epic adventure that unlocks age-old mysteries of the Force and shocking revelations of the past.
The film stars Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, Kelly Marie Tran, Laura Dern and Benicio Del Toro.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi is written and directed by Rian Johnson and produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman. J.J. Abrams, Tom Karnowski and Jason McGatlin are the executive producers.
— Yael Tygiel