Make room in your heart, because Rogue One is the latest Star Wars classic! If you loved the original Star Wars movies, and The Force Awakens, then buckle up! You’re going to really enjoy Rogue One.
The trailers reveal the basic plot, and tease the appearance of Darth Vader, so those are not considered spoilers – If you haven’t seen the trailer, watch it below!
Things I liked about Rogue One:
– New character K-2SO, voiced by Alan Tudyk. In my opinion, he’s sassier than C-3PO and more lovable that BB8.
– Our wonderfully diverse team, lead by Felicity Jones. And it didn’t feel like a 90’s kids cartoon rainbow either.
– The new sets added a nice variety to the Star Wars universe. We visited all sorts of new places which allowed this story to live on it’s own.
– There was no romance in the story. This is a huge positive point! These characters were full fleshed out and complex – with wants and desires – but no need to force a love interest plot.
– The main villain was also incredibly 3-dimensional! He was driven by ambition and created a realistic, relatable, and understandable, foe.
– There are plenty of “easter eggs” and nods to the original films for diehard fans to nerd over.
– Donnie Yen as Chirrut Îmwe. My second favorite character, after K-2.
– I have decided that Chirrut Îmwe & Baze Malbus (played by Wen Jiang) are a couple. This may not be canon, but I’ve decided that it’s true.
– A reminder of our fierce Lord Vader – someone who feels like we haven’t seen in a long time. It was nice to have that Vader back on the big screen.
A few questions that I have about Rogue One:
– why not cast a real blind actor to play Chirrut Îmwe? The sequences are choreographed. This is a missed opportunity.
– why include Grand Moff Tarkin? The actor, Peter Cushing, is long deceased, so bringing back this character required a whole lot of CGI and it was creepily obvious.
– why didn’t the necklace pay off? It’s a super minor thing, but I was expecting something to come of it. And it didn’t. So forget about it… although, if you catch something that you’d consider a “pay off”, leave it in the comments! I’d love to know what I missed.
Check out the trailer below & let me know what YOU thought of Rogue One in the comments